I know Thanksgiving is over and everyone is probably tired of turkey but not me. I’ve eaten so much chicken and fish in the last 8 weeks that my holiday turkey was a welcome change. And I don’t want to wait for a whole year to make a turkey again, why do we do that? It’s such a great source of lean protein with a richer flavor than chicken. Plus I love the fact that I can eat it for about 4 days and it still tastes just as good.
I made a clean version using fresh herbs from my garden and some lemons. Super simple!
1. Wash and remove any extras from the bird including plastic bag with giblets.
2. Pat dry and place in a large baking pan.
3. Stuff bird with a bouquet of fresh herbs, stem first. I used about 10 stalks of rosemary but thyme, oregano, and sage would also be really good.
4. Place one lemon cut in half inside next to herbs. Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil over bird and sprinkle skin with garlic, herbs de provence and cracked black pepper.
5. Cover with foil and place in 350 oven for about 3-4 hours depending on size of turkey, mine was 12 lbs. Read the instructions on the packaging for accurate cooking time. I also watched the little pop-up thingy that comes up when it’s done. Remove foil for last 20 minutes to allow skin to brown slightly.
The lemon and herbs gave the meat a nice, subtle flavor without overpowering it.
I found this magic wand of brussell sprouts at TJ’s and roasted them with olive oil after using it to cast a spell on my chihuahua. But she still barks.
All in all it was a relaxed day with very little over-indulgence. I am not as tempted anymore to go crazy over foods that I once thought to be “forbidden”. It’s amazing how our bodies really want to be treated and fed well and reward us with health, energy, and vitality.